10/14/10

Mythos

Mythos restaurant, Islands of Adventure

I've been to Universal's Islands of Adventure dozens of times, yet I never managed to eat at Mythos restaurant. Located in the Lost Continent, it boasts a large banner  that declares it the "#1 Theme Park Restaurant in the World" Six Years in a Row. With a sign like that, you gotta try it!


I was at the park with some friends, and we decided to check if we could make dinner reservations at Mythos. Turns out, they're not open for dinner! They were actually closing the restaurant at 5:30pm that day, even though the park itself didn't close until 8pm. Lucky for us, we showed up just in time to snag one of the last seatings of the day. 
The design of the restaurant is quite impressive. You really feel like you are eating in huge cavern designed by the gods. I liked the small details, like the tiled mosaics on the floor and the Medusa-head light fixtures in the restrooms. Because they were closing, the restaurant was nearly empty. The atmosphere was quiet and relaxing - definitely made us forget that we were in the middle of a bustling theme park!

The menu items were reasonably priced (especially for a theme park) and offered an interesting variety of choices. I ordered the Vietnamese chicken wrap with fries. Others at my table ordered the Roman panini, the buffalo BBQ fried chicken wrap, and the blueberry-and-pistachio-crusted grilled pork.  


I really hate to complain, but I have to mention that the service we received wasn't really great. Our server was inattentive and seemed like she didn't want to be there at all - I don't think she smiled at us once. Also, since it was closing time and the restaurant was emptying out, a table nearby had a stack of dirty dishes that did not get picked up during our entire meal. Sorry, but I don't like looking at other people's dirty plates while I'm eating.   

Despite the shoddy service, I definitely plan to return and try something new from the menu. Mythos offers a great place to rest in the park, get awesome views of the Hulk rollercoaster from across the lagoon, and enjoy a nice meal.

kitchen
dining room

No comments:

Post a Comment