12/13/10

Reindeer Run at Sea World Orlando


 A few weeks ago, a coworker asked if I would be interested in doing the Reindeer Run 5k at Sea World. I just started running this summer, and had completed my first 5k in November at Lake Nona. Running at Sea World sounded cool, so I said yes! I registered and paid my $24 entrance fee at TrackShack.com (proceeds benefited the Pediatric Cancer Foundation...they were also collecting toys for Toys for Tots).   

The run was scheduled to start at 7:30am, but it got off to a late start because of traffic. According to the announcers at the event, they only had 400 people participate last year and over 4,000 this year! So things were a little backed up. No problem, though. We started running at around 7:45am.

Yes, it was COLD out. But once you start running, it isn't so bad. Plus, the Santa hat I was wearing kept my head warm. Participants were encouraged to dress up in a festive holiday outfit for the run; prizes were awarded for Most Creative Holiday Attire and Best Group Costume. I saw people dressed as reindeer and elves, lots of people wearing Santa hats and jingle bells, and even some dressed up as Christmas gifts with big boxes wrapped with a bow!


The route had us run about 1 mile through the parking lot, then into the park for the last 2 miles or so. We ran through the Bayside Stadium and around Shamu Stadium, over the bridge to Manta and the Dolphin Cove, back around past Atlantis, the Penguin Encounter, and the sea lions, and finally through Shamu's Happy Harbor to the exit. It was really nice to see the park decorated for Christmas. There were lighted Christmas trees on the water, fountains synchronized to Christmas music, fake snow falling during a performance by a live band, and Santa Claus with his elves greeting runners and taking photos as we passed by. We saw the Polar Express and Shamu Santa, could have our photo taken with a macaw or a two-toed sloth, and were treated to free snacks and hot chocolate after the race.


I definitely had a lot of fun, and am interested in trying other runs around different Orlando-area attractions. I'm already looking into signing up for one at Mead Garden in Winter Park. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment